Strangely , this version, the Panther Aus A was the second model of the Panther produced after the Ausf D version which debuted at Kursk. This improved model was produced between August 1943 and May 1944 so it would have been the standard equipment of the best Heer and Waffen SS Panzer divisions which would have had first issue . Recognisable by the triple pipe exhaust on the left hand side of the hull and the improved cast cupola and ball mounted machine gun . This version was the most numerous Panther seen in Normandy as the later Ausf D version only went into production two months before D Day. The Pithead model comes cast in a Zimmeritt coating typical of the period.